The Art of Empathy: A Complete Guide to Life's Most Essential Skill
We all long to be seen and understood, to be valued and honored, and to be loved for exactly who we are. We also want to connect deeply with others, understand them clearly, and respond skillfully to their wants and needs. We want to navigate through difficulties and conflicts with grace, and we want our relationships to be a source of healing, strength, humor, and love. We want empathy and we want to know how to offer our empathy to others.
Join empathic pioneer Karla McLaren at Naropa University for an evening of empathic exploration and a celebration of the release of her newest book and audio learning program, The Art of Empathy: A Complete Guide to Life's Most Essential Skill (Sounds True, October, 2013). Copies of her book will be available for sale and she will do a book signing after the talk.
Karla McLaren has combined her four decades of extensive empathic experience with current insights from neuroscience, sociology, the arts, and healing traditions to explore:
- Clear explanations of The Six Essential Aspects of Empathy and how to work with them.
- Why empathy is not a mystical phenomenon, but an innate ability that you can learn to strengthen and develop
- How to create healthy empathic environments at home and at work for yourself, your family, and your co-workers
- How to regulate your empathy if your empathic abilities are uncomfortably hyper-activated
- How to help children (of any age) develop healthy empathic skills
- Insights into the dark side of empathy and how to avoid the trap of excessive in-group empathy
More than ever the time for healthy empathy has come. The Art of Empathy provides powerful, practical guidance to help you become a healthy and happy empathic presence in a world that needs you!
Karla McLaren is a lifelong empath, pioneering educator and researcher, and award-winning author whose empathic approach to emotions revalues even the most "negative" emotions, and opens startling new pathways into the depths of the soul. She is the author of the new book and audio learning program The Art of Empathy: A Complete Guide to Life's Most Essential Skill, the multi-media online course Emotional Flow, and the book and audio learning program The Language of Emotions: What Your Feelings Are Trying to Tell You. Karla has taught at such venues as the University of San Francisco, Naropa University, Kripalu, and the Association for Humanistic Psychology. She is currently developing new forms of empathy and social interaction curricula for neurologically diverse populations.
Naropa University's Nalanda Events Center (View)
6287 Arapahoe Road
Boulder, CO 80301
|Kid Friendly: Yes!|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|